"" | Black Diamond Trail Trekking Poles - Once I decided the pros and cons of trekking poles weighed heavily on the pros, I decided to give trekking poles a try. Black Diamond poles were recommended due to their "Flicklock mechanism" for adjusting pole length. The conventional twist method used by other manufacturers can slip under heavy weight. The Flicklock system of locking pole length works very well and doesn't seem to slip, even going down hill with some force. Some observed that even if you do get a slip, there is a way to tighten the grip of the flicklock mechanism in the field so they don't slip. I haven't tried the other style, but these Black Diamond "Trail" Trekking Poles are wonderful. Such a relief on my knees, particularly going down hill. To get the benefits of the poles does take some technique, but it's not hard and well worth the effort.
Pros - Advantages of Trekking Poles
- Reduce impact on knee joints and leg muscles - Arm and shoulder muscles take some of the load off the leg muscles and joints. 1
- Increase hill climbing power - Legs and arms can contribute to the climb.
- Reduced swelling in hands - Hands-above-heart position and arm motion used with poles prevents blood from pooling in the hands.
- Aid balance - When balance is thrown off due to terrain or middle ear problems.
- Regular breathing and increased stamina - Because using poles creates a consistent, steady walking rhythm.
- Useful for testing areas for snakes, stability, etc.