The Four Day Work Week: Sixteen Reasons Why This Might Be an Idea Whose Time Has Come - This article from theoildrum.com makes the argument that a four day work week would have at least 16 benefits to each of us and our economy. Written by Kyle Saunders (associate professor of political science at Colorado State University) the article gives some detail and statistics for each reason, so do read the original article, but the points below give the gist.
A 4 Day Work Week is a good idea because it would...
- reduce on crude oil imports
- reduce greenhouse gas emissions and other air pollutants
- reduce exposure to pollutants
- reduce traffic congestion
- reduce money spent on new road construction and existing road maintenance
- reduce personal expenses associated with commute and driving
- reduce auto accidents
- reduce time spent alone (if not carpooling)
- reduce absenteeism
- increase productivity
- increase opportunity for time with family
- decrease labor costs
- decrease business operational costs
- reduce childcare costs
- provide time for a transition into the informal economy
- feel great!
|The 4-Hour Workweek - Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich |
by Timothy Ferriss