Low-Carb Diet Plan - Found this list in Gary Taubes' book Good Calories, Bad Calories to be about right. He culled it from Herman Taller and and Robert Atkins. More-or-less how I am eating. I'm basically avoiding any processed foods and oils, though I do eat Leo Galland's Omega Blast Granola in the morning. In fact, I really love many of the recipes from Leo Galland's Fat Resistance Diet.
Foods to avoid
- Bread and everything else made with flour
- White rice
- Potatoes and all other white root vegetables
- Foods containing processed sugar or fructose
- All candy or sweets
Foods to eat as much as you want
- Meat, fish, poultry
- All green vegetables
- Fresh fruit (but avoid/eat in moderation bananas and grapes)
My diet rules
- Eat any and all processed , , (except potatoes & starchy veggies).
- Avoid all processed foods (as much as possible): carbs/sugars, meats, oils.
- Extra virgin, cold-press olive oil and sesame seed oils are okay, but avoid highly processed oils in general.
- Milk, cheese, butter are fine.
- Eggs are fine, though hard-boiled preferred over fried (due to oxidation).
- Avoid eating 12 hours after last meal of the day (the gap between dinner one day and breakfast the next), but...
- NEVER GO HUNGRY! So if you become very hungry within that 12 hour, post dinner window, eat.
- DON'T STRESS about your eating. If you crave a sweet or other forbidden food, occasionally indulge AND enjoy! Life is short.
This diet approach has worked very well for me. Lost about 25-30 lbs. in two months and have stabilized to a comfortable, healthy weight. I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything important. And since I don't stress about it, when I decide to stray from the rules, I don't feel any guilt and self-loathing. I know my next meal will be on track, so I don't sweat it.
|Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It|
by Gary Taubes
|Good Calories, Bad Calories|
by Gary Taubes