- Democracy Now! | Dr. Paul Farmer Challenges Profit-Driven Medical System While Bringing Healthcare to Poor Communities Worldwide
- Amy Goodwin does a very good interview with Farmer. Covers a lot of ground in 45 minutes.
- I would read stuff in scholarly texts and know they were wrong
- "I would read stuff in scholarly texts and know they were wrong. Living in Haiti, I realized that ." The eradication of the Creole pig, or the dam at Peligre, for example.
~Paul Farmer to Tracy Kidder, Mountains Beyond Mountains, p 78
- The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer : NPR
- Great NPR interview with Kidder regarding Paul Farmer.
- 60 Minutes to watch... and a lifetime to act
- Watched this piece on 60 Minutes and was so impressed with Paul Farmer and the organization he co-founded Partners in Health (PIH). The stories literally moved me to tears--I sent a donation right after the segment.
Farmer is a smart determined guy who is making health care available in some really troubled parts of the world like Haiti and Rowanda. His approach is collaborative--he doesn't want these places to be totally dependent on foreign workers, so he's training natives to take care of their own people. He's also being smart about getting drugs to people in need at lower costs by negotiating with manufacturers to produce lower cost generics. He's treating people with AIDS in these countries, drug resistant TB. As he put it, the health care PIH can provide is better than some regions receive in the U.S. Indeed, some U.S. health agencies are using PIH as a model for inexpensive health care delivery. Tremendous impact. The dedication he has is obvious. These are our heroes. These people must be the examples our children follow and admire.
- Partners In Health (PIH), Health Care for the Poor
- PIH's homepage, which has some great info on the agency and it's mission. Nicely done.
- Charity Navigator Rating - Partners In Health
- Excellent rating for PIH.
- Welcome! | PIH Model Online
- Playing Cambridge Reads with Dr. Paul Farmer
- Wonderful video of a talk by Paul Farmer, introduced by Tracy Kidder, who wrote Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World.
- Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home
- Great source for researching a charity
- Team Heart's Mission to Rwanda
- The team treated patients in Rowanda. Wonderful blogsite of the team member's experiences with good pictures.
|Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World |
by Tracy Kidder