Steven Wright - Here's another emailed bit of humor. It's by Steven Wright, whose biography consists of the following:
If you're not familiar with the work of Steven Wright, he's the famous erudite scientist who once said: "I woke up one morning and all of my stuff had been stolen and replaced by exact duplicates."
His mind sees things differently, to our amazement and amusement. Here are some of his gems:
1 - I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
2 - Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back.
3 - Half the people you know are below average.
4 - 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
5 - 42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
6 - A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.
7 - A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
8 - If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.
9 - All those who believe in psycho-kinesis, raise my hand.
10- The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
11- I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
12- OK, so what's the speed of dark?
13- How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?
14- If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
15- Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
16- When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
17- Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
18- Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.
19- I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.
20- If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
21- Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
22- What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
23- My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
24- Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?
25- If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
26- A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.
27- Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
28- The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread.
29- To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.
30- The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
31- The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.
32- The colder the x-ray table, the more of your body is required to be on it.
33- Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
|I Have a Pony - Steven Wright Live
More Steven Wright Quotes (some may be repeats)
- I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place.
- Last week, I went to a furniture store to look for a decaffeinated coffee table. They couldn't help me.
- What's another word for "thesaurus"?
- When I get real bored, I like to drive downtown and get a great parking spot, then sit in my car and count how many people ask if I'm leaving.
- When I was a kid, we had a quicksand box in the backyard. I was an only child . . . eventually.
- I bought some batteries, but they weren't included. So I had to buy them again.
- I enrolled in a class in reincarnation cause, what the heck, you only go around once in life.
- For my birthday I got a humidifier and a dehumidifier. I put them in the same room and let them fight it out.
- I have a switch in my apartment that doesn't do anything. Every once in a while I turn it on and off. One day I got a call from a guy in France who said, "Cut it out!"
- I replaced the headlights on my car with strobe lights. Now it looks like I'm the only one moving.
- I wrote a song, but I can't read music. Every time I hear a new song on the radio, I think "Hey, maybe I wrote that."
- I got my driver's license photo taken out of focus on purpose. Now when I get pulled over the cop looks at it (moving it nearer and farther, trying to see it clearly)... and says, "Here, you can go."
- I went to a general store, but they wouldn't let me buy anything specific.
- I turned my air conditioner the other way around, and it got cold out. The weatherman said, "I don't understand it. It was supposed to be 80 degrees out today." I said "Oops . . ."
- I put contact lenses in my dog's eyes. They had little pictures of cats on them. Then I took one out and he ran around in circles.
- I spilled Spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.
- My neighbor has a circular driveway. He can't get out.
- I bought some powdered water, but I didn't know what to add.
- I put instant coffee in a microwave and almost went back in time.
- I have an answering machine in my car. It says, "I'm home now, but leave a message and I'll call when I'm out."
- I bought a house on a one-way dead-end road. I don't know how I got there.
- I have a hobby. I have the world's largest collection of sea shells. I keep it scattered on beaches all over the world. Maybe you've seen some of it.
- I Xeroxed a mirror. Now I have an extra Xerox machine.
- Last week I forgot how to ride a bicycle.
- My school colors were clear.
- I stayed in a really old hotel last night. They sent me a wakeup letter.
- I'm taking La maze classes. I'm not having a baby, I'm just having trouble breathing.
- When I was in high school, I got in trouble with my girlfriend's Dad. He said, "I want my daughter back by 8:15." I said, "The middle of August? Cool!"
- My girlfriend's weird. One day she asked me, "If you could know how and when you were going to die, would you want to know?" I said, "No." She said, "Okay, forget it."
- I went for a walk last night and she asked me how long I was going to be gone. I said, "The whole time."
- My buddy got busted for counterfeiting. He was making pennies. They caught him because he was putting the heads and tails on the wrong sides.
- He's in a minimum security prison now; he's on a whiffle-ball and chain.
- Hermits have no peer pressure.
- Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories .
- There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
- How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't live there?
- Did Washington just flash a quarter for his ID?
- I just got skylights put in my place. The people who live above me are furious.
- Imagine if birds were tickled by feathers.
- I remember when the candle shop burned down. Everyone stood around singing "Happy Birthday".
- I accidentally installed the deer whistles on my car backwards. Now everywhere I go, I'm chased by a herd of deer.
- I got stopped by a cop the other day. He said, "Why'd you run that stop sign?" I said, "Because I don't believe everything I read."
- It doesn't matter what temperature a room is, it's always room temperature.
- Yesterday, my eyeglass prescription ran out.
- I'm a peripheral visionary.
- I make my own water - two glasses of H, one glass of O.
- Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?
- The other day, I went to a tourist information booth and asked, "Tell me about some of the people who were here last year."
- Why in a country of free speech, are there phone bills?
|I Have a Pony - Steven Wright Live