- Colon Resection - Preoperative & Postoperative Care - surgerychannel
- Gum May Aid Colon Surgery Recovery
- Chewing gum may shorten hospital stays after colon surgery, new research shows. The gum chewers were quicker to feel hungry, pass gas, have their first postoperative bowel movement, and leave hospital, the study shows. The details:
- Days in hospital: 4 for gum chewers; nearly 7 days for comparison group.
- Hours from surgery to feeling hungry: 64 for gum chewers; 73 for comparison group.
- Hours from surgery to passing gas: 65 for gum chewers; 80 for comparison group.
- Hours from surgery to bowel movement: 63 for gum chewers; 89 for comparison group.
- How It Works - Gum chewing may stimulate the digestive system, spurring it back into action after surgery, the researchers note.
|Colon Health Key to Vibrant Life |
Dr. Norman W. Walker